Honey & Goat Cheese Filled Fig Muffins
Posted in Nourishment for the Body » Eat It on Sunday, March 21, 2010
Honey & Goat Cheese Filled
From Eating Well
Nutritional Information: Calories 272, Fat 9g.
Cholesterol 39mg. Carbs 44g. Sugars 20g.
¾ cup crumbled soft goat cheese
2 Tbs honey
1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
1 ¼ tsp vanilla extract, divided
2 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 large egg whit
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 cup low or non-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 ¼ cups chopped dried figs
3 Tbs sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.
2. Thoroughly combine goat cheese, honey, lemon zest, and ¼ tsp vanilla in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Lightly beat eggs and egg white in a medium bowl; add brown sugar and the remaining 1 tsp vanilla and whisk until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in buttermilk and oil until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined; do not over mix. Fold in figs.
4. Spoon half the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Add 1 generous tsp of the reserved cheese filling to the center of each muffin, and cover with the remaining batter. Sprinkle the muffins with sugar.
5. Bake the muffins until the edges start to brown and the tops spring back when gently pressed, 13-15 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
More in Eat It: